Friday 25 January 2013

It's Raining Turtles.

Strange things always happen around my place. Take today for instance. There I was minding my own business when I thought it was all too quiet. Hubby was watching some television, No.2 son was in his room, the cats and the dog were all accounted for. Wait a minute, there is one more dog who is outside and being way to quiet, and you know what that means. Yep, trouble.

So I look out he back door and there is Sorcha looking back at me very oddly. The first thing I spot is my container of fishy fertilizer now has puncture marks in it and is leaking all its contents. Then there was that odd look. I walk towards her and notice an odd shape on the ground. To my astonishment she is playing with a little turtle. I pick the poor darling up and race back inside. Hubby and  No.2 son couldn't believe that I was indeed holding a turtle.

It is a Common snake-necked turtle who in summer can make extensive overland migrations to find water. We think it was ambling along and was picked up by a falcon or eagle. I think it was the latter as when I looked out a little later, a huge bird was taking off from next-doors tree. Hubby thinks it was trying to land in our tree and dropped the turtle. So we are taking it to a rescue place tomorrow. It's so cute.

Watching our every move.

Now a picture showing Sorcha sleeping. What is so interesting about that you ask? Hubby says she is a disgrace.

3 comments:

  1. I think life will be very interesting with Sorcha in !
    what a dear little Turtle - hope it will be happy & safe at the rescue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorcha is one interesting - and relaxed and uninhibited - dog!
    I am reminded of the story about the death of Greek dramatist Aeschylus, who allegedly died because an eagle dropped a tortoise it was carrying on his head. Apocryphal no doubt, but it SHOULD be true! Thankfully no one was fatally injured when this cute little turtle dropped in! xxx

    ReplyDelete